Atalanta is the sassy, spunky, spurned sister in Händel’s opera, Xerxes.
• A strong, simple design with a funky, almost chunky lace border
• Knit sideways in one piece – CO only a few sts, BO as few
• Turns at midpoint – this way all of a precious skein can be used
• Gauge unimportant
• Size variable – from 1-skein shawlette to generous wrap
Level of difficulty: I think it’s quite easy -- the lattice stitch along the border may take a little getting used to but is not complicated.
The border is a 4-row pattern and 2 of those rows are plain garter stitch.
The picot edging is a simple 2-row pattern and with picots on every 6th row.
The body is knit in plain stockinette -- could be knitted in garter stitch for a completely reversible shawl
Sample shawl sizes:
- The golden Silk Purse shawl is 200 x 50 cm (78” x 20”)
- The grey Posh Sylvia DK shawl (knit on 4.5 mm) is 225 x 45 cm (88” x 18”)
- The green Wollmeise is 210 x 50 cm (83” x 20”)
- The 1-skein Malabrigo (not pictured because I have to reknit it) is (was!) about 165 x 40 cm (66” x 15”)
To find out what’s up my knitted sleeve, you may sign up for the occasional Åsa Tricosa Newsletter here.