The stitch pattern on this cowl immediately brought to mind the open “jaws” of the venus fly trap plant, which of course brought to mind Audrey II from “Little Shop of Horrors.” Named in her honour, the sample of this cozy cowl is worked in decadently luscious yarn from Bijou Basin Ranch.
This is the perfect project for a precious skein of luxury yarn. The circumference can be customized by adding/removing stitch repeats while the height can be adjusted by working additional rounds.
Pattern is 5 pages.
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Errata (11/14/14): Work through Chart A twice, then repeat rows 1-10.
Finished Size (blocked): 19”/48.26 cm circumference by 9.75”/24.77 cm wide
- Stitch markers (1)
- Fine cotton thread in contrasting colour for life-lines
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions)
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking wires and pins
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 180 yards/165 meters of sport weight yarn that knits up to 5.75-6.5 sts/inch; preferably in a semisolid/tonal yarn with drape.
Shown In: Bijou Spun by Bijou Basin Ranch ‘Lhasa Wilderness’, (180 yards/165 meters; 75% yak, 25% bamboo; 2 oz/56 grams per
skein). 1 skein in Salmonberry.
Other Possible Yarns:
- The Fibre Company ‘Road to China Light’, (159 yards/145 meters, 65% alpaca, 15% silk, 10% camel, 10% cashmere; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Knit One Crochet Too ‘Ambrosia’, (137 yards/125 meters, 70% alpaca, 20% silk, 10% cashmere; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Madelinetosh ‘Pashmina’, (360 yards/329 meters, 75% merino, 15% silk, 10% cashmere; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Mirasol Yarn ‘Nuna’, (191 yards/175 meters, 40% silk, 40% wool, 20% bamboo; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Blue Sky Alpacas ‘Alpaca Silk’, (146 yards/134 meters, 50% silk, 50% alpaca; 1.76 oz/50 grams).
- Cascade Yarns ‘Epiphany’, (273 yards/250 meters, 60% alpaca, 20% silk, 20% cashmere; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.