My takeaway from the movie was that WE ALL NEED A BABY Groot, so here is your free crochet GROOTORIAL! If you haven’t seen the movie, Groot is this tree-like alien who is really big and strong and can grow stuff off his body and is basically like the Giving Tree on steroids.
What You’ll Need
- H8/5.00mm and F5/3.5mm crochet hooks
- Worsted weight yarn in Brown (I used Rowan Summer Tweed in Chocolate Fudge, but it’s discontinued now. I believe Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice has a brown tweed, and Plymouth Encore Worsted definitely has a brown tweed, but any brown or tan/wood color will work!)
- Sport weight yarn in Green (I used Red Heart Designer Sport in Pistachio)
- Black embroidery thread or Black worsted weight yarn (I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Black) – If you’d rather not crochet tiny leaves, you can also use green felt to cut out leaves, and sew them on with green or brown thread.
- 2 9mm safey eyes (12mm looks cute, too!)
- small amount of Polyfil
- 1 12-inch pipe cleaner or some kind of wire for the arms
- tapestry needle
- small plant pot
- a handful of small, smooth pebbles
- optional: fake moss, hot glue