Using single-crochet stitches only, this mask is formfitting for a stealthy Batman look. The bamboo viscose and silk blend yarn creates a fabric that is sleek, light, breathable, and comfortable against the skin.
9/7/13: NEW AND IMPROVED PATTERN PUBLISHED (the original pattern is still available below the new pattern on the website)
Over the past several months I received lots of feedback from fellow crocheters about this pattern and finally decided it needed to be retested and rewritten. Thank you all for your patience as I reworked this design.
Here is what is different about the new pattern:
- Beginning construction. The hat portion of the mask is now a basic beanie pattern.
- Place markers. The second half of the pattern, which creates the area below the eyebrows, has been revised so that instructions for the eyehole and nosepiece area are given between place markers, making it easier to keep track of the stitch count.
- Stitch counts. I’ve added stitch counts at the end of each round and for the eyehole and nosepiece area where needed.
- Photos. An updated photo of the beginning of the eyehole and nosepiece area should make this part of the pattern clearer.
Here is what is unchanged about the new pattern:
- Yarn. No one seems to have had success substituting yarn for the bamboo-silk blend I used. Acrylic and wool do not have enough stretch. My best advice is to use the same yarn that I used or a brand that has a similar ratio of bamboo viscose and silk. Sorry about this, but I think that this yarn is what makes this mask unique. It is designed to be formfitting, and I have not yet found another yarn that achieves this. (If you have success with another type of yarn in this pattern, please let me know and I’ll update this information!)
- Size. This pattern is for an adult with a hat size of 7 ¼ or less.
If you have any questions about this pattern, please feel free to message me here or at email@example.com. I am more than happy to help.