Big Damn Heroes
Mal: “Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?”
Zoe: “Big damn heroes, sir.”
Mal: “Ain’t we just.”
“Big Damn Heroes” is the second design in my Firefly/Serenity series based on the character Zoe. It is an off the shoulder poncho with a lace pattern inspired by the beautiful white strap dress Zoe wears at the end of Serenity. It captures her style by being both adventurous and sexy, without too much foofarah.
The piece can be worn several ways; off the shoulder poncho, one-shouldered over shirt, pointed cowl, snuggly round cowl, and closed shawl. It is knit from top down, partially worked flat and partially worked in the round, and has off-center points. The bottom and neckline edgings are i-cord knitted on edges.
There are two sizes, which are more about the amount of drapiness you like rather than fit. Both sizes will fit most people but if you are tall or fuller figured, size Large may provide a better end product.
The pattern is available as full written instructions (9 pages), complete printable charts (9 pages), and complete digital charts (7 pages). You can download all three if you like to mix it up, or just download your preferred method - everything you need to complete the shawl is contained in each download.
Errata 02/2015: In the written instructions, on Row 101, there should be a “k1” at the end of the 3rd section. This has been updated in the latest version. The charted versions are unaffected.
• For size small you will need about 700 yds (about 150g) and for size large under 924 yds (under 200g) - Yarns/sizes shown in the photos - large/brown = Knit Picks Stroll Tonal in Kindling Tonal, small/white = Knit Picks Stroll Tonal in Pearlescent
• Yarn choice: The construction of this shawl may not be suitable to highly variegated or gradient yarns. The the body is knitted alternatively flat and in the round - this will cause three different pooling patterns for your yarn.
• For size small use US 7 (4.5mm) needles for the body & US 9 (5.5mm) for i-cord edging, for size large use US 9 (5.5mm) needles for the body & US 10.5 (6.5mm) for the i-cord edging
• Gauge is in pattern and is 24 sts x 30 rows for both sizes, with US 7 = 4.5 in and US 9 = 5 in
• Skills to know or learn for this project: knitting in the round, lace, and i-cords
• The written instructions and both chart versions have been test knitted to completion 11 times (thanks to puffycats, Cristallynx, Dulseigh, Aurealie, knithemiptera, craftyvic, txjewelrylady, and elasater).
Come join my Rav group for info on upcoming designs!
This pattern is now available through the Knit Picks Independent Designer Partnership! It is listed as Zoe Lace Poncho and can be purchased there along with the listed yarn with their super cool “Kit Builder!”