Blue Rocks Cowl
Memories of Nova Scotia: Blue Rocks Cowl
Blue Rocks is a tiny village on Nova Scotia’s South Shore ~ a fishing community steeped in history. A treasure that has been a long-favoured spot for the photographer’s camera, from its sheltered cove you can look out to the ocean and feel the breeze of the sea.
Beginning with a narrow Garter stitch border, the main part of this cowl is worked in two variations of the same pattern stitch. A Crochet Cast On is used to provide lots of stretch at the cast on edge (photo tutorial included); the cowl ends with a twisted mock cable bind off which is worked at right angles – a great place to practice backward knitting (photo tutorial included).
The striped effect in the sample is created by using a long colour transitioning yarn.
Photo shows 36” / 91.5cm size.
Both charts and written directions for charts are provided.
Stitch marker, tapestry needle
- 5mm / US8 circular 16 - 48” / 41 - 122cm depending on size knit and method used (see Needle Notes) or size required to obtain gauge
- 5 mm / US8 one DPN or same size as required to obtain gauge
- 4.5mm / US7 crochet hook for Crochet Cast On or one size smaller than needle required to obtain gauge
For knitting in the round, a variety of methods / needles may be used:
• one circular - 16” / 41cm for smallest size, 16” / 41cm or 24” / 61cm for second size, 32” / 81cm for two larger sizes or
• two circulars - 24” / 61cm or longer for two smaller sizes, 32” / 81cm or longer for two larger sizes for Two Circulars Method or
• one circular 36” / 91.5cm or longer for Travelling Loop or Magic Loop
Do come and join us in the Impeccable Knitters Gathering Place Ravelry group. You’d be ever so welcome!
My sincerest thanks to some very talented test knitters who gave of their time and talents to make this pattern ever so much better:
Ravellers CraftyFlutterby, Woollykim, KateB660, Chau7, dragonxser, janetknitwitch, faeriepaw, bgow and marthajane
The shawl pin in the photo provided by Michelle’s Assortment.
Pattern also available at: