Pattern Description from A Gathering of Lace: “As an example of how lace designs mercurially slip around the globe, this heart pattern was found by Sidna Farley in Dorothy Read’s 25 Original Knitting Designs, 1968 USA, and Sidna originally designed this charming purse for Knitter’s Magazine, issue #23. When Rachel Misgades was searching for a suitable motif for her daughter Katherine’s wedding purse, she found the same design in Marianne Kinzel’s Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting, 1961 UK. As she was plotting her pattern, she saw Sidna’s purse inKnitter’s Magazine* and used those instructions to knit the item shown here.”
Skill Level: Easy
- Width 5”
- Height 6½”
Yarn: DMC Size 5 Perle Cotton (1oz/28g; cotton)
* Size 2 (2.75mm) double-pointed needles (dpn), or size to obtain gauge
- 1½ yds 3/8” satin ribbon
- Waste yarn
- Optional: Beads for decoration
Blocked Gauge: 39 sts and 48 rows to 4”/10cm in St st.
- This purse is knit from tp to bottom.
- Only odd rnds are charted. Knit all even rnds.
- See Techniques, p. 162, for 3-needle bind-off.