These gansey-inspired socks are worked from the cuff down, beginning with a rib that slowly transitions into the knit and purl diamond pattern at the cuff. The remainder of the sock is worked in stocking stitch with a round toe that complements the traditional feel of the stitch pattern.
Katya Frankel has used a cosy DK-weight yarn for her socks from Eden Cottage Yarns, called Oakworth; it’s a pure, soft Polwarth wool that is hand-dyed, and is also machine-washable.
- Skill Level Intermediate – knit, purl, working in the round, simple decreases and increases, and finishing.
- Finished Measurements Foot circumference 7 ¾ (9 ½) in / 19 (24) cm. Foot length is adjustable. Shown in a larger size. These socks are designed to fit foot circumference of 8 ½ (10 ¼) in / 22 (26) cm.
- Yarn Eden Cottage Yarns, Oakworth DK (100% Superwash Polwarth wool 100g / 245 yds / 225 m) in #130614 Dahlia; 1 skein.
- Gauge 25 sts and 31 rnds = 4 in / 10 cm in Stocking stitch worked using 3.5mm (US4) needles, Adjust needle size if necessary to get the correct gauge.
- Needles & Notions Size 3.5mm (US4) set of double-pointed needles. Adjust needle size if necessary to get the correct gauge. Stitch markers, tapestry needle.