Cartouche Slouchy Beret
This elegant beret is designed using one of the border
stitch patterns from the Cartouche Shawl and is
intended to be a matching piece.
The Cartouche Shawl was inspired by the stitch
patterns found in a Japanese stitch dictionary. The main
pattern used in the shawl reminded me of an Egyptian
cartouche and I visualized it in a deeper vibrant red, the
colour of life and victory for Ancient Egyptians.
Written to be worked on circular needles, the pattern can easily be done on dpns or magic loop. The 8 page pattern includes both charts and written instructions, as well as a photo tutorial of the flower bud motif (page 4).
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn: 146 (146, 200) yards/134 (134, 183) meters sport weight yarn with 6 sts/inch; preferably in a semi-solid or solid colour.
Sample: Blue Sky Alpacas ’Alpaca Silk’, (146 yds/134 meters; 50% silk, 50% alpaca; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein), 1 (1, 2) skein(s) in 145 Guava, size Large.
Finished Sizes (after blocking):
Small, (Medium, Large)
Fits head circumference up to - 17 (20, 23) inches/ 43.25 (51, 58.5) cm
Other possible yarns:
- Handmaiden Fine Yarn ‘Camelspin’, (328 yards/300 meters; 70% silk, 30% camel; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Madelinetosh ‘Pashmina’, (360 yards/329 meters; 75% merino, 15% silk, 10% cashmere; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Jo Sharp ‘Alpaca Silk Georgette’, (142 yards/130 meters; 40% merino, 40% alpaca, 20% silk; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- The Sanguine Gryphon ‘Bugga!’, (412 yards/377 meters; 70% superwash merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon; 3.99 oz/113 grams per skein).
- Debbie Bliss ‘Baby Cashmerino’, (137 yards/125 meters; 55% wool, 33% microfiber; 12% cashmere; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Mirasol Yarn ‘Nuna’, (191 yards/175 meters; 40% silk, 40% wool, 20% bamboo; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Stitch markers (1)
- Cable needles (2)
- Tapestry needle
- Fine cotton yarn in contrasting color for life-lines (optional)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on chart - optional)
- Increasing and decreasing
- Knitting in the round
- Traveling stitches
- Following charts
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern can be ordered from Shall We Knit?