Texting-friendly and iPod-friendly mitts in fast and warm worsted weight? Why yes!
Like my original “Podster” Gloves pattern, this convertible mitten-glove pattern features a modified thumb for you to keep your thumbs flying over the texting keyboard or mp3 player – but this time in warm and wooly worsted-weight yarn, for even colder winter temperatures. For those times you need to send a quick text, change to the next song on your music player, press the button on your camera, or whatever else you might need to do on the go without sacrificing warm hands! Worked cuff-up in the round.
These are worked on worsted (or DK) at a snug gauge of 6 sts/inch, to help keep the chill away! Substitute your favourite stashed worsted or DK and get going on your own pair for the cold season ahead.
• Berroco Ultra Alpaca 50% alpaca/50% wool, 215 yds/198 m per 3.5 oz/100g skein, 1(2) skeins
OR 200(230) yds worsted-weight wool in a wool or wool/alpaca blend, if substituting yarns
• 3.25mm needles (DPNs or long circular for Magic Loop) OR needle size required for gauge
• Tapestry needle
• Stitch holder or waste yarn
• Stitch markers
• To fit hand circumference 6.25-7.0 ins (7.25-8 ins) around; Roughly equivalent to Women’s Small(Women’s Large/Men’s Small).
• 24 sts/32 rows over 4 ins on 3.5mm needles OR needle size required to obtain gauge
(This will likely be 3-4 needle sizes smaller than the needle size you would normally use for worsted weight yarn)
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work in the round
• Work knit and purl sts
• Work increases (m1) and decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog)
• Pick up sts (for working fingers and thumb)