Texting-friendly and iPod-friendly mitts in fast and warm worsted weight? Why yes!
This is a worsted-weight version of my Podster Mitts pattern, a convertible mitten-glove pattern with a modified thumb for you to keep your thumbs flying over the texting keyboard or mp3 player – for even colder winter temperatures. For those times you need to send a quick text, change to the next song on your music player, press the button on your camera, or whatever else you might need to do on the go without sacrificing warm hands! Worked cuff-up in the round.
These are worked on worsted (or DK) at a snug gauge of 6 sts/inch, to help keep the chill away! Substitute your favourite stashed worsted or DK and get going on your own pair for the cold season ahead.
While this is offered as a free pattern it is NOT necessarily a ‘beginner’ pattern. It is strongly recommended that the knitter have some familiarity with mitten or glove construction, or be comfortable forging ahead into this territory if it is new.
• Berroco Ultra Alpaca 50% alpaca/50% wool, 215 yds/198 m per 3.5 oz/100g skein, 1(2) skeins
OR 200(230) yds worsted-weight wool in a wool or wool/alpaca blend, if substituting yarns
• 3.25mm needles (DPNs or long circular for Magic Loop) OR needle size required for gauge
• Tapestry needle
• Stitch holder or waste yarn
• Stitch markers
• To fit hand circumference 6.25-7.0 ins (7.25-8 ins) around; Roughly equivalent to Women’s Small(Women’s Large/Men’s Small).
• 24 sts/32 rows over 4 ins on 3.5mm needles OR needle size required to obtain gauge
(This will likely be 3-4 needle sizes smaller than the needle size you would normally use for worsted weight yarn)
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work in the round
• Work knit and purl sts
• Work increases (m1) and decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog)
• Pick up sts (for working fingers and thumb)