Texting-friendly and iPod-friendly mitts in fast and warm worsted weight? Why yes!
This is a worsted-weight version of my Podster Mitts pattern, a convertible mitten-glove pattern with a modified thumb for you to keep your thumbs flying over the texting keyboard or mp3 player – for even colder winter temperatures.
Worked cuff-up in the round. These are worked on worsted (or DK) at a snug gauge of 6 sts/inch, to help keep the chill away! Substitute your favourite stashed worsted or DK and get going on your own pair for the cold season ahead.
While this is offered as a free pattern it is NOT necessarily a ‘beginner’ pattern. It is strongly recommended that the knitter have some familiarity with mitten or glove construction, or be comfortable forging ahead into this territory if it is new.
Please note I am not able to guarantee pattern support for free patterns after their 1st year of release.
This pattern was originally released in 2011.
• Berroco Ultra Alpaca 50% alpaca/50% wool, 215 yds/198 m per 3.5 oz/100g skein, 1(2) skeins
OR 200(230) yds worsted-weight wool in a wool or wool/alpaca blend, if substituting yarns
• 3.25mm needles (DPNs or long circular for Magic Loop) OR needle size required for gauge
• Tapestry needle
• Stitch holder or waste yarn
• Stitch markers
• To fit hand circumference 6.25-7.0 ins (7.25-8 ins) around; Roughly equivalent to Women’s Small(Women’s Large/Men’s Small).
• 24 sts/32 rows over 4 ins on 3.5mm needles OR needle size required to obtain gauge
(This will likely be 3-4 needle sizes smaller than the needle size you would normally use for worsted weight yarn)
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work in the round
• Work knit and purl sts
• Work increases (m1) and decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog)
• Pick up sts (for working fingers and thumb)