This sleeveless cardigan was designed give you a fashionable extra layer during those days that don’t seem as springy as they should. It is pictured above with a knitted tie, giving it a tailored and clean cut look. It can also be worn without the tie and secured with a simple shawl pin to create a more relaxed look.
The entire garment is knit in one octagonal shaped piece with only a single seam. The dramatic collar is created when the upper side of the octagon is folded over the shoulders. The body is primarily stockinette, but the interesting shape of the garment and the reversible cabled border make it a fascinating project for the knitter who is far too easily bored.
It is knit up in Berroco Remix, a yarn I’ve fallen madly in love with for fall and spring knitting. For one, it’s completely recycled, which just makes me happy to know I’m helping to steward the earth’s resources well. Secondly, the fiber blend is unusual but wonderful. Cotton, acrylic, silk, nylon and linen combine to create a worsted weight yarn that adds warmth without feeling overly bundled up and wintery, which is exactly what you want this time of year. At $10/100g ball, it’s reasonably priced for the fiber content, and is knit up into this cardigan which is a remarkably versatile addition to your spring wardrobe.
Gauge – 12 sts x 16 rows/3 inches
Sizes – (x-small, small, medium, large) (x-large, 2x-large, 3x-large)
Finished Garment Size at Bust – (31.5, 34.5, 37, 41.75) (44.25, 46.75, 50) inches. This cardigan is designed to have 1-3 inches of ease. However, due to the wrapped nature of the garment the fit is flexible and can be wrapped a bit looser or tighter to fit the wearers taste.
Required Materials –
- Berrocco Remix – (4, 5, 5, 7)(7, 8, 9) balls or (750, 950, 1050) (1325, 1425, 1675, 1900) yards. (216yd/198m to 100g/3.53oz. 30% Nylon, 27% Cotton, 24% Acrylic, 10% Silk. Color: 2967 Bittersweet)
- #8 US or 5mm, 40” circular needle
- #8 US or 5mm DPNs (you can use the 40” circular needle and use the magic loop method if you prefer)
- Additional #8 US or 5mm circular needle or straight needle
- One #9 US or 5.5mm DPN or straight needle
- Knitting Needle point protectors, or cap for the cable if using interchangeable needles
- 8-15 stitch markers
- Cable needle
- 2-3 Size 10 snaps Tapestry needle