Down the Road by Katherine Vaughan

Down the Road

April 2015
Fingering (14 wpi) ?
21 stitches and 24 rows = 4 inches
in body stitch
US 6 - 4.0 mm
420 - 650 yards (384 - 594 m)
Scarf: 10in/25.5cm wide by 72in/183cm long. Wrap: 16in/40.5cm wide by 68in/172.5cm long
Flag of English English
This pattern is available for $6.00 USD buy it now

Dorothy’s journey, like many long trips, had quite a lot of excitement at the beginning and the end, with long stretches of travelling in the middle. This end-to-end wrap is the same— a pleasing lace pattern at each edge with a 2-row lace in the middle to help you relax along the way. When paired with a double gradient yarn, such as the Emerald City by KnitCircus shown, you’ll end up feeling like a wonderful wizard full of heart and brains—without needing a lot of courage!

Scarf uses one 100g skein of double gradient fingering-weight yarn
Wrap (shown in photo) uses one 150g skein of double gradient fingering-weight yarn

You can, of course, work this pattern in a non-gradient yarn. What would Glinda use? Beads, maybe?

If you knit a gauge swatch, you will need to frog it and use it for the wrap/scarf. This is particularly important if you are using a double gradient yarn such as the lovely ones from KnitCircus. If you do not use your gauge swatch, the center of the double gradient may not be located in the center of the wrap.

Weigh your skein before starting, without the ball band or label. This pattern requires you to work the beginning edge for 25% of the yarn by weight, then the center section until 75% of yarn is used (including the beginning edge), then the ending edge uses the remaining 25% of the skein.

Pattern is completely written, with a supplemental chart for the lace edging.

Many thanks to Stephannie Tallent for her tech editing!