Elephants in Stripes
Socks are knit toe-up on 2 circular needles.
Heel-turn is done by short rows
Gusset increase is on the sole
Gauge: 33st x 38r = 10cm
– Judy Beckers Magic Cast On
– you have knitted socks toe-up before
– stranded knitting and stranded purling
– reading charts
There are three ways to use this pattern.
1) The first way is to follow the example numbers given. This will result in a pair of socks in (european) size 39. If you got gauge and use (european) 39 you only need to do exactly as in the example.
2) Secondly, this pattern is a step-by-step guide to this particular construction of stranded socks. It works with any chart you like and with any sockyarn you like. The pattern wants you to understand what you do so that you later on can whip up your own stranded socks without relying on a pattern.
If you do not get gauge and/or do not use (European )39 you will follow the generic explanations and adjust to your size.
3) If you do not care for socks and are just in it for the elephant chart you will be delighted to know that I included one chart for elephants in stripes and one chart for elephants with a solid background.
Both charts are a lot bigger than needed for socks, which will make it easy to adjust the design to whatever garment you have in mind for it. However, you will have to do that yourself. This pattern does not include instructions for any other garment than socks.