Evergreen and Christmas Rose Gift Bags
Pattern description from Handknit Holidays: “Gift and wrapping all in one, these clever knitted bags feature two seasonal motifs--evergreen trees and Christmas roses--that lend themselves well to Fair Isle knitting in the round. They’re offered in two sizes to fit a wide range of gifts, and either bag can easily be doubled as a handbag. The bags are knit from the top down; the bottom panel is shaped with decreases to lie flat.”
- Small bag: Approximately 6.5 inches in diameter by 8.5 inches high
- Large bag: 7.75 inches in diameter by 11 inches high
- Classic Elite Montera (50% wool / 50% llama; 127 ayrds / 100 grams)
- Small bag: 1 skein each MC and CC. Shown in book in Christmas Rose pattern in #3832 magenta (MC) and #3888 fuchsia (CC)
- Large bag: 2 skeins MC and 1 skeins CC. Shown in book in Evergreen pattern in #3860 dark green (MC) and #3850 lime green (CC)
- One 16” (40 cm) circular (circ) needle size US 8 (5 mm)
- One set of four or five double-pointed needles (dpn) size US 8 (5 mm)
- Two double-pointed needles size US 7 (4.5 mm) for I-cord Ties
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Stitch marker, yarn needle
Notes from Handknit Holidays:
- Numbers for working small Bag are listed first, with large Bag in ( ); if only one set of numbers is given, it applies to both sizes.
- The number of rows differs slightly between the Bags, depending on the color pattern used. Bags of same size are worked identically before and after the color patterns on the sides.
- Charts are worked from right to left for each round, beginning Rnd 1; work Chart repeat around entire piece.
- Use Jogless Color Change (see Special Techniques, page 175) to minimize the disruption of the color patterns.