Every Which Way Hat
The first time I touched Bare Naked Wools ‘Confection’ I knew two things: 1) I wanted to wrap myself in the yarn and 2) it would be a dream to knit. The natural colours of the yarn made choosing just one difficult so I selected two shades of grey and the natural, figuring I’d come up with a pattern later. Soon after this cowl sprang fully designed into my dreams
and quickly flew off my needles, and shortly thereafter it was followed by this matching hat. I have some beach stone buttons and knew these irregular buttons were perfect to go with the rustic, natural qualities of the yarn and used one on the decorative tab on the hat.
Pattern is 6 pages.
- Working in the round
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Fits head circumference up to: 18” (21”, 24”)/45.72 (53.34, 61) cm
Finished size (blocked): 16.75” (18.75”, 20.5”)/42.44 (47.63, 52.07) cm
- One button, 3/8”/9.5 mm (optional)
- Stitch markers (1 to mark the beginning of the round)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions - optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking wires and Tpins
- Unwaxed dental floss (to attach buttons)
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 80 (90, 100) yards/73 (82, 91.5) meters of merino/wool worsted weight yarn that knits up to 3.75-4.5 sts/inch.
Bare Naked Wools ‘Confection Worsted’, (210 yards/192 meters; 100% corriedale wool; 4 oz/115 grams per skein), 1 skein each of White Chocolate (colour A) and Cookies & Cream (colour B). 1 beach stone button from Swift River Farm (www.swiftriverfarm.com).
Other Possible Yarns:
- Indigodragonfly ‘MCN Worsted’, (180 yards/165 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- Malabrigo Yarn ‘Rios’, (210 yards/192 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- madelinetosh ‘tosh vintage’, (200 yards/183 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Brooklyn Tweed ‘SHELTER’, (140 yards/128 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Quince and Co. ‘Lark’, (134 yards/123 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein.
- Dream in Color ‘Classy’, (250 yards/229 meters; 100% merino; 4 oz/113 grams per skein).
Errata (11/14/14): Colour pattern for two colour hat should read
Rnds 1-10 - colour B
Rnds 11-14 - colour A
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.