Family of Funky Stockings
Pattern description from Handknit Holidays: “The yarns used for this jolly set of stockings come from La Lana Wools of Taos, New Mexico, where Sandy Cushman loves to visit at all times of the year. Here, she has tried to capture the subtle palette of the landscape in that part of the country in both color and textures - the hard - scrabble desert, the verdant mountains, and the sunshine that makes everything brighter and warmer, especially in winter. The vibrant, earthy colors she has chosen are repeated in the batik-print lining sewn inside each stocking, another reminder that holiday celebrations in many parts of the world - including much of the United States - are often anything but red and green.”
Finished Measurements: Approximately 20 (22, 24, 26, 28)” long
- Yarn 1: La Lana Knitting Worsted (100% wool; 200 yards / 4 ounces): grape (A), apple green (B), and burgundy (C)
- Yarn 2: La Lana Forever Random Blends (wool / mohair blends; 80 yards / 2 ounces): Chaco Canyon (D), yellow brick road (E), faerie queen (F) and primavera (G)
- Note: Each Stocking will use 2.5-3 skeins yarn, depending on the size of Stocking; mix and match colors as desired, or work as shown.
- One 16” circular needle size US 9 (5.5 mm)
- One set of five 6” double-pointed needles (dpn) size US 9 (5.5 mm)
- One set of five 8” double-pointed needles size US 9 (5.5 mm)
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: 45” wide lining fabric: 1/2 yard for Stockings 1 and 2; 3/4 yard for Stockings 3 and 4; 5/8 yard for Stocking 5; 5 pieces 3/8 yard ribbon, each 12” long, for hanger loops; waste yarn.
- 17 sts and 22 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette stitch (St st) using Yarn 1
- Note: Gauge within stocking is variable due to character of yarn and Stitch patterns.
Notes from Handknit Holidays:
- These stockings are knit from the tow up to the Ribbed Top, with only a short pause to insert waste yarn where the future heel will be. For ease in working, change from dpn to circ needle when sufficient sts have been increased.
- When working Slip st pattern, strand yarn loosely behind slipped sts to prevent fabric from puckering.
- Each Stocking will use 2.5-3 skeins yarn, depending on the size of Stocking; mix and match colors as desired, or work as shown.