Fantome Hat & Cowl Combo (bundled set)
This is a combo, bundled set listing for both the Fantome Hat and the Fantome Cowl. If you want just one of the patterns, please go to the patterns’ respective individual listing. what you get with this listing: PDF download of the Fantome Hat (6 pgs) and the Fantome Cowl (4 pgs). Make sure you download both files!
I wanted to push the boundary of simple, ordinary stripes and wondered what it’d be like to take inspiration from cable knitting and combine it with playful colors. The combination of stripes and twisted stitch colorwork results in a pattern that looks deceptively harder than it really is. The techniques I use in this design create color patterns that pop without the fuss of stranded colorwork or intarsia.
Both the Fantome Cowl and Fantome Hat are worked in the round from bottom-up, one color at at time. The cabled motifs are created through a combination of slipped and twisted stitches. The visor for the hat increases the difficulty a little, but it really isn’t hard to achieve. The visor is worked by picking up stitches along the hat’s cast-on edge.
Hat: M/L (XL)
Cowl: Snug (Loose, Extra Loose)
- Hat: Finished Circumference: 19.5 (21.5)”/ 49.5 (54.5)cm; Fits heads up to 21.75 (23.75)”/ 55 (60.5)cm
- Cowl: Finished Circumference: 37.5 (44.5, 52.5)”/ 94 (112.5, 131.5)cm; Finished Height: 7”/ 18cm
- Hat: Fingering yarn- in 2 complementary colors, approximately 190 (210)yds/174 (192)m in each color
- Cowl: Fingering yarn- in 2 complementary colors, approximately 170 (204, 238)”/ 155.5 (186.5, 217.5)m in each color
- US 2/ 2.75mm 16”/ 40cm and 24”/ 60cm circular needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- US 2/ 2.75mm circular in any length, or gauge size
- US 1/ 2.25mm 16”/ 40cm and 24”/ 60cm circular needle, or 1-2 sizes smaller than gauge needle
- Stitch markers
- Cable needle
- Darning needle
- Hat only: Stabilizer material for visor, about 11.75” x 5.75”/ 30cm x 14.5cm
- Hat: 19 sts and 42 rnds = 4”/ 10cm wide in St st using larger needles; 22 sts and 76 rnds = 2.75”/ 7cm wide and 7”/ 18cm tall in pattern repeat (first 22 sts of chart) using larger needles. It’s important to work gauge swatch in the rnd and block for proper sizing and fit.
- Cowl: 52 sts and 76 rnds (1 pattern repeat) = 7.5”/ 18.5cm wide and 7”/ 18cm tall in pattern repeat using larger needles. While it’s still advisable to check your gauge, it’s not as critical in this project.
Working in round, round color changes, basic decreases, twisted stitches
Additional Pattern Details:
- Includes Chart and written instructions to Chart (for cowl only)
- Instructions include both US standard and Metric measurements
- Detailed knitting instructions in a professionally designed layout
- Professionally tested and edited
- Easy-to-read font, instructions, charts & diagrams
- Full color with active links
- Pattern file enabled for notations on e-readers