Felted Wine Bags
Pattern description from Handknit Holidays: “A simple knitted tube, felted down to the size of a wine bottle, makes a very practical wine cozy or gift bag, especially festive when dressed up with stripes or embroidered snowflakes. From a more knitterly perspective, the bag can also be used to hold knitting needles; simply cut the top off an empty one-liter plastic drink bottle and slip it inside for added stability.”
Finished Measurements: Approximately 12.25” circumference by 13.5” tall, after felting
- Reynolds Lopi (100% Icelandic wool; 110 yards / 100 grams):
- Solid bag: 1 skein of #720 gold with #718 off-white embroidery
- Striped bag: 1skein each of #209 pink, #315 brown, and #384 copper
- One set of five double-pointed needles (dpn) size US 11 (8 mm)
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge
Notions: Tapestry needle for embroidery, beads or crystals for snowflake version; leather strapping, approximately 4 yards heavy waxed thread to match leather (from shoe repair shop); and leather punch, for handle on striped version.
Additional Gauge: 14 sts and 21 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette stitch (St st) after felting twice; Make a swatch and do a felting test before checking gauges.