Gothic Forest Scarf
The stitch pattern used for the body of this scarf reminds me of a forest of trees, their branches forming high, mysterious arches. The shape of the arches are gothic in nature and that, plus the muted yet rich tones of the beautiful cashmere from Sericin Silkworks, led to the name for this decadent scarf. This project uses up every yard of the precious, luxury fiber.
The scarf is worked from the bottom up in two pieces that are then grafted at the centre back of the neck. This construction ensures that the arches of the lace pattern point upward on both sides of scarf. With buttonholes on one end, you can button this scarf in numerous ways to hold it in place around your neck.
Pattern is 7 pages.
- Kitchener stitch/grafting
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Finished Size (blocked): 9.5”/24.13 cm wide by 46”/116.84 cm long
- Three buttons, 7/8”/22mm
- Stitch markers 4
- Glow-line tape (to mark current row on charts - optional).
- Fine cotton thread in contrasting colour for life-lines
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking wires and Tpins
- Unwaxed dental floss (to attach buttons)
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn: 375 yards/343 meters of 2 ply 100% cashmere or cashmere blend, heavy lace weight/light fingering yarn that knits up to 7 sts/inch.
Sericin Silkworks ‘Cashmere,’ (375 yds/343 meters; 100% cashmere; 1.98 oz/56 grams per skein), 1 skein in Quiet Kaleidoscope. Three Cocoa Wood medium buttons (7/8”, size 36C) from Closure Fine Fastenings (email@example.com).
Other Possible Yarns:
- Jade Sapphire ‘Mongolian Cashmere 2-ply,’ (400 yds/366 meters; 100% cashmere; 1.94 oz/55 grams per skein).
- The Plucky Knitter ‘Cashmere Handpainted Lace Weight,’ (400 yds/366 meters; 100% cashmere; 1.94 oz/55 grams per skein).
- Karabella Yarns ‘Supercashmere Fine,’ (202 yds/185 meters; 100% cashmere; 0.88 oz/25 grams per skein).
- Alchemy Yarns of Transformation ‘Monarch,’ (156 yds/143 meters; 70% cashmere, 30% silk; 1.41 oz/40 grams per skein).
- Miss Babs ‘Sojourn,’ (200 yds/183 meters; 65% cashmere, 35% silk; 1.69 oz/48 grams per skein).
- Jacques Cartier ‘Qiviuk 4/19,’ (290 yds/265 meters; 50% qiviuk, 50% wool; 1.98 pz/56 grams per skein).
- Handmaiden Fine Yarn ‘Camelspin,’ (328 yds/300 meters; 70% silk, 30% camel; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.