WIDTH (at widest point): 14”/35.5cm
- 4 skeins woolfolk FÅR (100% Ultimate Merino® wool; 142 yds/130m per 50gm skein) or
- 3 skeins Madelinetosh Vintage (100% superwash merino wool; 200 yds/182m per skein) or
- 1 skein Miss Babs YOWZA (100% superwash merino wool; 560 yds/ 8 oz skein) or
- 3 skeins The Plucky Knitter Cashmere Aran (100% fine cashmere; 180 yds/skein) or
- Approx 550 yds/500m worsted weight yarn
Size 7 US/ 4.5mm needles or size needed to obtain gauge
19 sts and 27 rows = 4”/10cm in St st (blocked).
18 sts and 24 rows = 4” in Herring Pattern (blocked).
While exact gauge is not critical, variation in gauge will alter final measurements.
Shawl is worked from side to side, beginning with an increasing ribbed border that is then split in 2 with the insertion of the Herring Pattern in the center. The pattern stitch between the borders continues to grow to its total width, is worked even, and then decreases back until it’s eliminated. The ribbed border continues to decrease down to its original stitch count.
The size of the shawl can be modified by varying the number of incs/decs worked or number of rows worked in the Maintain Pattern section.