This project is a perfect stash buster. Multiple strands of yarn are held together to create a one-of-a-kind yarn. The centre cabled panel is worked first. Stitches are then picked up along each side of the panel to form the body of the cowl (long side) and the button-hole tab (short side).
Pattern is 4 pages.
- Working cables
- Following charts
- Picking up stitches
- Sewing on buttons
Finished Size (blocked): 36”/91.44 cm circumference by 11”/27.94 cm wide
- Buttons, 1.5”/38.10 mm (2), glazed porcelain
- Cable needle
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions).
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking wires and Tpins
- Unwaxed dental floss (to attach buttons)
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 150 yards/137.16 meters of super bulky weight yarn that knits up to 1.75 sts/inch.
For the sample cowl shown, 4 strands of yarn were held together:
- 1 strand of Cascade Yarns ‘128 Superwash’, (128 yards/117 meters; 100% wool; 3.5 oz/100 grams per skein). 2 skeins in 817.
- 1 strand of Malabrigo ‘Rasta’, (90 yards/206 meters; 100% merino; 5.25 oz/150 grams per skein). 2 skeins in 63 Natural.
- 1 strand of Misti Alpaca ‘Tonos Worsted’, (218 yards/199 meters; 50% alpaca, 50% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein). 1 skein in TW100 Natural Cream.
- 1 strand of Queensland Collection ‘Soft Comfort Mohair’, (95 yards/87 meters; 80% mohair, 15% nylon, 5 % wool; 0.88 oz/25 grams per skein). 2 skeins in 615.
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.