If it looks like a duck
This is the simplest crochet duck pattern ever. It doesn’t have the refinements of some other ducks you might find but it is quick, easy, and suitable for beginners.
The pattern was specially written for The Little Yellow Duck Project. It is ideal for anyone wanting to make their first duck or for those wanting to churn out lots of ducks with the minimum of effort.
Yellow Ducks don’t have to be yellow. You can use up any oddments of yarn you happen to have though it is best to avoid fluffy or textured yarns as they make it difficult to see what you are doing. The size of the duck will vary according to the thickness of the yarn.
What makes it so easy?
- It is made in one piece. The only stitching is to close the hole at the bottom
- It uses only one stitch.
- The instructions are a little unconventional to avoid any confusion between UK and US crochet instructions.
- You can use any yarn
- You don’t need to work to a particular tension (gauge). Just make sure you work tight enough to stop the stuffing coming out
- The beak is made of felt so you don’t have to fiddle with tiny pieces
- If you don’t get the stitch count quite right, it probably won’t matter. Small mistakes won’t show
Two of the photographs show the top of the head and the underneath.
German version now available. Thanks to Manfredovna.