I made these mittens for my friend Katie, and because they turned out so nicely, I decided to write up a pattern and share it. It includes charts for the floral pattern and palm motif, as well as complete written directions.
- Chart for palm motif contained duplicate first and last columns. This chart has been replaced by one illustrating all 35st across.
- Tips for adjusting length are added.
- At 3.5in across the hand, these mittens are more of a woman’s small than a woman’s medium.
- Tips for adjusting width are added.
- Mistake in the directions for the thumb gusset - the chart is correct but the written directions were missing a line.
The pattern has been updated to reflect these changes - the most current version is 1.2. Please let me know if you find any more errors, so I can correct them.
This pattern is great for double knitting! If you choose to work in fair isle, you will need to be mindful and catch the long floats when working the floral motif on the back of the hand. Also, be aware of yarn dominance when working the striped thumb.
A ribbed lining keeps these mittens snug and discourages drafts or snow from sneaking up your wrist. This detail is nice, but optional.