My inspiration for this waistcoat was a memorable scene in Downton Abbey: Who should appear on the screen but Lady Sybil, sporting the most fantastic outfit with full, harem pants? The outfit selected specifically by Sybil to shock featured an empire waist, embroidered bodice, sheer, golden-gilded sleeves, and ethereal silk chiffon pants. The lace details and seamless finishing on this waistcoat make it fun to knit, while the full, curved skirt and fitted bodice make it flattering to wear.
This sweater is a companion piece for my original showpiece, based on Lady Sybil’s full jumpsuit. See the showpiece here.
Bust: 30 (34¼, 38½) inches), buttoned
Length: 27½ (28¼, 28¾) inches from shoulder
- Zitron Filigran, 100% merino wool yarn, laceweight, 656 yards per 100g hank; 2 hanks of #2522 Tan (MC)
- Zitron Zeitlos Solid, 100% merino wool yarn, worsted weight; 262 yards per 100 g hank, 2 hanks of #110 Red (CC)
- US 1½/2.5 mm 32-inch circular needle
- US 6/4 mm 32-inch circular needle AND set of 5 double pointed needles
- US 8/5 mm 32-inch circular needle
- JHB Glass Treasures Buttons, 3/8 inch shank, #11291, 5; www.buttons.com
- Stitch marker
- Tapestry needle
18 sts and 26 rows = 4 inches in stockinette with largest needles and CC
25 sts and 30 rows = 4 inches in stockinette with size 6/4 mm needles and MC held double