NOTE: Site requires you to create an account to download the pattern.
Right on trend, these Last-Minute Cowls can be knit up before you can say “I couldn’t possibly finish a gift in time.” Using US 17 needles (that’s 12mm to our metric friends) and some of our favorite super-chunky-weight wools, the results are gorgeous. Not to mention incredibly warm. Knit one to give, give one to knit, or treat yourself–there’s still time for all three options!
- Rowan Cocoon in color Amber in the seed stitch pattern (yarn held double).
- Rowan Cocoon in color Moon in the mistake-rib pattern (yarn held double).
- Blue Moon Sookie in color Brick the 2x2 rib pattern.
- Blue Moon Sookie in color Sky Blue in the seed stitch pattern.
- Rowan Tumble in color Bracken in a 2x2 rib.
- For our stack of cowls, we opted for either seed stitch or 2x2 ribbing using Rowan Cocoon double stranded for a chunky look. (Or try using two different colors for luscious marling. See our project page.)
We also made single-strand versions using our favorite super-chunky yarns Erika Knight Maxi Wool, Rowan Tumble, Blue Moon Sookie, and Rowan Big Wool. These yarns are lofty, soft, easy to knit and give great stitch definition. They’re unbelievably snuggly, and the chunkiness of the yarn makes these simple stitch patterns really pop!
Note: Pattern updated November 2014 to include a mistake-rib stitch pattern.
2 skeins Erika Knight Maxi Wool (87 yds/80m each),
OR 2 skeins Rowan Tumble (77 yds/70m each),
OR 2 skeins Rowan Big Wool (87 yds/80m each),
OR 1 skein Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sookie (136 yds/124m),
OR approx. 126 yds of super-chunky-weight yarn,
OR 2 skeins Rowan Cocoon (126 yds/115m each), held double.
Approx. 8.5 sts = 4”/10cm. Note: Just get close.