Little Monster Hat
A perfect hat for the little (or not so little) monster in your life. Using bulky yarn and US 10 needles, this is a quick knit! Leave it plain for a fun shaped hat, add strings to tie under the chin, or go all the way with button eyes and an embroidered mouth, there are many ways to customize this hat for whoever is going to wear it.
This hat is knit-in-the-round no seaming to worry about later. The ear-flaps are knit first with the rest of the hat being built onto them. Knit in garter stitch, this hat is an excellent way to show off variegated or tonal yarns. The pointy ears are then shaped using short rows so there are no stitches to pick up. Finally, the top is grafted together using Kitchener stitch for a clean finish.
Baby (toddler, child/small, medium, large) Finished hat measures 14 (16, 18, 20, 22) inches around Finished hat fits up to 17 (19, 21, 23, 25) inches around
- 1 (1, 2, 2, 2) balls of Loops & Threads Charisma (3.5 oz. skein/ 109 yds, 16 stitches in 4 inches on US 13 needles) or other similar bulky yarn
- US 10 (6mm) 16 inch circular needle (for the larger sizes you might want a 24 inch long circular or a set of double pointed needles)
- stitch holder or straight needle
- 2 1-1/2 inch diameter buttons for eyes (optional)
- Contrasting yarn to embroider mouth and attach buttons(optional)
- Yarn needle to weave in ends and embellish