Maleficent, the evil villain in Sleeping Beauty, is horrifyingly beautiful, in the way evil presents its illusion until it is unmasked. Her cloak is a powerful part of her presence, sweeping and undulating around her. With a dropped-stitch wave pattern, this cloak emulates that sinister quality. Knitted from wrist to neck for each side, the wrap includes garter-stitch ridges for a series of flattering vertical lines. The ribbed double collar sweeps up and back in an elegant fold around the V-neck. With elements of fantasy and everyday life, this piece combines the spectacular with the practical to create a beautiful garment.
- The cloak is knit sideways from the cuff toward the center, divided for the front opening and grafted together in the center back.
- To form a smooth transition with bind offs, slip the first stitch with yarn in front, then continue to work stitches in pattern as usual.
- Use the cable method to cast on stitches within the work.
- Stitch counts do not include yarnovers.
- A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of stitches.