Interweave SKU: EP10357
Maleficent, the evil villain in Sleeping Beauty, is horrifyingly beautiful, in the way evil presents its illusion until it is unmasked. Her cloak is a powerful part of her presence, sweeping and undulating around her. With a dropped-stitch wave pattern, this cloak emulates that sinister quality. Knitted from wrist to neck for each side, the wrap includes garter-stitch ridges for a series of flattering vertical lines. The ribbed double collar sweeps up and back in an elegant fold around the V-neck. With elements of fantasy and everyday life, this piece combines the spectacular with the practical to create a beautiful garment. (Interweave)
Finished Size: About 54” wide from cuff to cuff and 44” long at center back.
Yarn: Classic Elite Liberty Wool (100% washable wool; 122 yd [112 m]/1-3/4 oz [50 g]): # 7827 wine, 28
Needles: Cloak-size 7 (4.5 mm): 24” circular (cir). Collar-size 5 (3.75 mm): 24” cir. Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Markers (m); waste yarn; spare needle, size 7 (4.5 mm) or smaller; tapestry needle.
Gauge: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4” in St st on larger needle before blocking; 18 sts and 26 rows = 4” in St st on larger needle after blocking.
Originally Published: Enchanted Knits 2014
- The cloak is knit sideways from the cuff toward the center, divided for the front opening and grafted together in the center back.
- To form a smooth transition with bind offs, slip the first stitch with yarn in front, then continue to work stitches in pattern as usual.
- Use the cable method to cast on stitches within the work.
- Stitch counts do not include yarnovers.
- A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of stitches.