Inspired by the bold colors found in nature and the beauty of hand-dyed yarns, I sought to create a fun colorwork piece that looks much harder than it actually is. Narrow Stockinette stitch pinstripes and slipped stitches create color patterns that pop without the fuss of stranded colorwork or intarsia.
Mandarinfish Hat is worked in the round from bottom-up, one color at at time. The zig-zag columns of color are created through a combination of slipped and twisted stitches. This fun, slightly slouchy and quick-knit hat adds pizzaz to your wardrobe.
Both Mandarinfish Hat and Mandarinfish Cowl are available bundled here. *Hat sample worked Medium/Large using Sweet Georgia Superwash DK (100% superwash merino; 256 yds; 115g ); 1 skein each of MC: glacier; CC: pumpkin. Note: If youâve purchased both the Mandarinfish Cowl and the coordinating Mandarinfish Hat, both projects can be worked using 1 skein of each color in the sample yarn in any combination of the following sizes: Cowl - Snug, Loose; Hat - Small, Medium/Large, X-Large.*
SIZES/ FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
- Small (Medium/Large, X-Large)
- Head Circumference: 17.5 (20.25, 23.25)”/ 44.5 (51.5, 59)cm, fits heads up to 19.5 (22.25, 25.25)”/ 49.5 (56.5, 64)cm
- DK weight yarn in a wool or wool blend.Approximately, MC: 58 (77, 88.00)yds/ 53 (70.5, 80.5)m; CC: 60 (78, 89)yds/ 55 (71.5, 81.5)m
- US 3/ 3.5mm 20 (32, 40)”/50 (80, 100)cm circular needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- US 2/ 2.75mm 20 (32, 40)”/ 50 (80, 100)cm circular needles, or 1-2 sizes smaller than gauge needles
- Stitch markers, removable stitch markers
- Darning needle
22 sts and 34 rnds = 4”/ 10cm in pattern using larger needles. It’s important to work gauge swatch in the rnd and block for proper sizing and fit.
OTHER PATTERN DETAILS
Available in several different sizes
Pattern has been professionally tested and edited
Clear, concise instructions with diagrams
Instructions for several accessory options.
4 pages, full color with active links
Pattern file enabled for notations on e-readers.