Mitered Detail Cardigan
Please Note: This is a MACHINE KNITTING pattern.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Garment Bust (with edges overlapped): 36.5 (39, 40, 44.5, 48.5, 52, 56.5)” / 92.5 (98.5, 102, 113, 123, 132.5, 143.5) cm
Yarn Requirement: Approx.1730 (1913, 2052, 2299, 2550, 2802, 3131) yds / 1582 (1749, 1876, 2102, 2331, 2562, 2863) m of yarn that meets gauge.
Yarn that’s roughly 100g = 580yds / 536m
• Casting on (crochet, tappet tool, or open)
• Picking up sts and grafting
• Garter bar (or hand-knitted garter)
• Partial knitting / Short-rows (Option A)
• Centered Double Decreasing (Option B)
• Decreasing sts
• Seaming with mattress stitch
• Standard gauge 200 ndl bed knitting machine
• garter bar (for folding edge and 4 rows at cuff)
• tappet tool
• 3 stitch transfer tool
• long transfer combs (Option B)
• scrap yarn
• tapestry needle
This cardigan was designed to be drapey and loose through the gauge and yarn combination. It is meant to be worn with +2” / +5 cm of wearing ease. The bust size is adjustable; there are no front closure elements, so it can be wrapped tighter and secured with a shawl pin or edging can be knit wider or narrower. Please be sure to measure the intended wearer before choosing a size.
The garment begins with two mitered quadrilaterals that resemble kites or diamonds. The tops of these two conjoined “kites” are used as the basis for the back piece. The back and front panels are knit independently and seamed together at the sides.