Narragansett Bay Socks
Instructions given for two sizes: women’s and men’s.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Sized to fit average women’s foot: Leg Length 7” (18cm); Foot Length 9.5” (24cm); Ankle Circumference 8” (20.5cm)
- Sized to fit average men’s foot: Leg Length 9” (23cm); Foot Length 10.5” (26.5cm); Ankle Circumference 8.5” (21.5cm)
Yarn: #1 super fine
- Women’s 350 yds (320m) sock or fingering weight
- Men’s 450 yds (412m) sock or fingering weight
- 2 (3) skeins Lorna’s Laces Yarns Shepherd Sock, 2 oz (57g) skeins, each approximately 215 yds (197m), 80% superwash wool, 20% nylon, Cranberry
Needles and Notions:
- One set of 5 US size 1 (2.25mm) double-pointed needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
Note: the first set of numbers refers to the women’s sock. The men’s sock numbers follow in parentheses.
Pattern Description from A Fine Fleece: “It seemed fitting to design the Narragansett Bay set for both men and women, and to include pieces that could actually be useful out on the Atlantic… I chose the gansey motif to represent the Claiborne Pell Bridge, the longest suspension bridge in New England, which crosses Narragansett Bay to the island that houses Newport… . These pieces posed more of a design challenge than initially meets the eye. Once I chose a traditional gansey motif, I needed to be sure it fit within the sizes, gauges, and other restrictions I placed upon the project.”