This quick and simple headband is both fun and functional. The double layer of super bulky yarn will keeps ears toasty warm while the pompom ears add whimsy. Sized for toddlers, children, teens and adults, this headband is composed only of easy knit stitches worked in the round.
Two methods are included for joining the tube into a band. Beginner knitters can use the half-Kitchener stitch, which has a photo tutorial included within the pattern. Advanced knitters may use a provisional cast on, and then close the tube with Kitchener stitch. (Tutorials for these techniques are not included but are easily referenced on the Internet.)
While the pattern calls for super bulky yarn, this headband can be a great stash buster by working with multiple strands of lighter weight yarns held together – two strands of bulky, three strands of worsted, four strands of DK, etc. Just remember to multiply the required yardage for your size by the number of strands to calculate your own yarn requirement. Also consider holding together different colors of yarn to create a marled fabric.
If you prefer to use purchased fur or faux fur pompoms, or knit just a plain headband, yarn requirements for just the headband are also provided.
Skills Needed to Successfully Complete This Pattern:
cast on, knit, use markers, half-Kitchener stitch (tutorial included), make pompom
Optional: provisional cast on, Kitchener stitch
• 63 (78, 95, 105, 118) yds/ 57 (71, 87, 96, 108) meters super bulky yarn
• For headband only: 45 (56, 69, 76 , 85) yds/ 41 (51, 63, 70, 78) meters super bulky yarn
• US #13/9 mm needle of your choice for small circumference circular knitting (double-point needles, long circular for Magic Loop or 2 circulars)
• Second needle for Advanced Knitters working Kitchener stitch
• 3 locking stitch markers
• Tapestry needle
Yarns Used in Samples:
• Gray sample worked in super bulky weight Spud & Chloe Outer (65% superwash wool/35% organic cotton; 60 yds/55 m per 100g) with yarn held single.
• Cream sample worked in bulky weight Quince & Co. Osprey (100% American wool; 170 yds/155 m per 100g) with yarn held doubled.
• Black sample worked in worsted weight Cascade 220 (100% Wool; 220 yards per 100 grams) with yarn held tripled.
• Brown sample worked in DK weight Mission Falls 136 Merino Superwash discontinuederino wool; 136 yds/ 124 m per 50 g) with yarn held quadrupled.
This pattern has been tech edited and test knit.