Princess Bonnet by Rian Anderson
Welcome! You are browsing as a guest
Would you like to see 141 projects made from this pattern and much more? create a free account What am I missing?

Princess Bonnet

Knitting
May 2015
Light Fingering ?
28 stitches and 56 rows = 4 inches
in garter stitch
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
US 2 - 2.75 mm
219 - 252 yards (200 - 230 m)
0-3 months
This pattern is available as a free Ravelry download

This bonnet is my version of the one worn by the new princess born on the 2nd May 2015 to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
This pattern is “reverse engineered” from photographs and is just my own take on what can be seen (the lower hem is my own invention, it not being visible in the pics).
I am not the designer of this pattern, nor did I knit the original bonnet worn by the princess.
I don’t claim that my version is correct – it’s just what I saw.

Update: 9.5.15
It has now been discovered that the bonnet was bought in a shop in Spain and is a one-off handknit. Still no idea re the original pattern.
It is also now admitted that it was worn the wrong way round.
I’ve made the sample the “right way round” and have added pics.

Update 11.5.15
Pattern has now been rewritten to add 3 ways to do the edges depending on how you want to make it.
I changed the tension from 27 sts to 28 and gave a different way of checking tension so you can do it as you make the bonnet. I hope this helps as some people have found it was coming out too big.
I would recommend using wool or something with memory and “spring”, rather than cotton or bamboo that stretches and doesn’t go back again.

Revised pattern has now been sent to everyone who downloaded it and the new version published for downloading.

Ravelry thread about this bonnet is here

Intermediate level – not total beginners.

Minor error found on page 3 Bonnet main part:
Instead of “Rpt the last 4 rows 35 times more – you will have completed 154 rows (= 72 garter st ridges; 36 eyelet holes, including the last row’s)” – should be 144 rows.
Apologies for any confusion (and my abject maths skills) and thanks to quick and astute knitter knit1yoga2 who found the mistake first.
This error is now fixed in the pattern along with a few typos.