Included as part of Point/Counterpoint Volume 1. Two designers + two yarns = inspiration through collaboration. Each designer independently created an accessory, then sent only a photo of the finished object to the other. In response, the designers used the same yarn to create a new accessory inspired by the first, thus making a set. The only limit is their creativity!
After Sarah of Imagined Landscapes designed Snowfall on the Mountains in her native Canada, I looked around Kenya, where I was living at the time, for my own inspiration. Since Kenya is on the Equator, it does not have the traditional four seasons. Instead, I was in the middle of one of two yearly rainy seasons, when torrential rains at night return Kenya to lush greenness. These mitts, knit from the fingers down in a long gradient in fingering weight, feature blue raindrops falling down on verdant green cuffs – at least in the colorway I chose! Make your cuffs as short as you want or knit till you run out of yarn.
Size - To Fit Hand Circumference - Hand Length (from index finger’s 1st knuckle to where thumb joins hand)
- 4-6 years - 6” (15 cm) - 1.5” (3.75 cm)
- 6-8 years - 6.5” (16.5 cm) - 1.75” (4.5 cm)
- Adult XS - 7” (18 cm) - 2” (5 cm)
- Adult S - 7.5” (19 cm) -2.25” (5.75 cm)
- Adult M - 8” (20.5 cm) - 2.5” (6.25 cm)
- Adult L - 8.5” (21.5 cm) - 2.75” (7 cm)
- Adult XL - 9” (23 cm) - 3” (7.5 cm)
Approximate Yardage: (with a 15% buffer)
- 4-6 years (140 yards/128 m)
- 6-8 years (170 yards/153 m)
- Adult XS (195 yards/178 m)
- Adult S (220 yards/203 m)
- Adult M (250 yards/229 m)
- Adult L (275 yards/254 m)
- Adult XL (305 yards/279 m) Note: This is the yarn needed to knit a 5”/12.5 cm cuff, as shown in the sample. You may require more or less yarn depending on how long you make the cuff.
knitting in the round, including on a small (fiddly) circumference
YO, slipped stitches