Rúnar is a fully-lined beanie hat in three sizes - extra warm and thick, and decorated with eye-catching runes in stranded colourwork.
The Younger Futhark runes spell out, in Old Norse, ‘Þórr vígi, Þórr síði’ (May Thor bless, May Thor protect). The message can be personalised using the complete charted runic alphabet which is included in the pattern.
S [M, L] - to fit head circumference of 19/20 [21/22, 23/24] inches/(48/60 [53.5/56, 58.5/61]) cm
- 2.25 mm/US size 1 needles (or size needed to obtain gauge) for preferred method of working small diameters in the round (e.g. double-pointed needles, long circular for magic loop or two circular needles)
- 240 [280, 330] yds/(219 [256, 302] m) of fingering weight yarn in main colour (sample shown in Knit Picks Gloss Fingering, ‘Black’)
- 30 yds (27 m) of fingering weight yarn in contrast colour (sample shown in Rowan Cashsoft 4-ply, ‘Thunder’)
- Four stitch markers; tapestry needle
- Simple stranded colourwork, worked from chart
- Working in the round
- Basic decreases and increases (M1, k2tog, ssk)