Sam the Ram
Errata: From pattern user: Row 51 on head/neck: should be 13 sts before marker (need to count the slipped st)
Summary Ram, Aran, cable, ribbing, rated Advanced. Companion to Sue the Ewe.
- Please use wool (after all, it is a sheep)
- Cream for body -- about 300 yards (274 m)
- Heathered gray for face & legs -- about 110 yards (101 m)
- Optional: a few yards (or meters) of black for embroidering eyes.
Gauge The stockinette stitch pattern needs to be a little denser than usual. Gauge is not too critical, as long as it is 6 or more stitches per inch.
Needles and Notions
- 2 sets of Size 4 (3.5 mm) double point needles OR size to achieve a gauge of 6 or more stitches per inch in stockinette stitch
- 1 or 2 cable needles/holders
- Optional: a short (16 to 24 inches / 41 to 61 cm) circular needle in same size as sheep, but 6-7 double-point needles are needed for at least the first rows because of the sharp corners
- Optional: 1 set of Size 3 (3.25 mm) double point needles (or 1 size smaller than those needed to meet the stockinette stitch gauge).
- Darning needle
- Stitch markers, including at least 5 that can be pinned or tied onto the needle (e.g., small safety pins or loops of contrasting yarn)
- Stitch holders -- several, these need to be flexible -- yarn is good
- Stuffing -- 16+ ounces (.45 kg) of polyester fiberfill of a color that matches the fleece
Notes The designer has her own line of patterns, Earth Heart Designs, but Sam and Sue are published by 3 Kittens Needle Arts. This patterns is available at the 3 Kittens Needle Arts website as both a printed version or a PDF.
From the Designer’s pattern introduction Sam was inspired by a drawing on a note card of a sheep wearing an Aran-patterned sweater. As soon as I saw the drawing, I knew I had to try to duplicate that look in knitting. In my version, the Aran-patterning is clearly the fleece, and not a separate sweater.
Publication Date July 1993, Revised September 1994.