This quick one-skein shawlette is a perfect travel companion. Wear it around the neck to keep air conditioner blasts at bay, or over your shoulders as a lightweight traditional shawl. With the addition of the button (cuff)links it turns into an elegant shrug which looks cute over a casual summer vest or elegant over an evening dress.
It was designed to fit an adult (me!) but it turns out that it works really nicely for children and teens too so beware - you may end up making more than one!
You will need:
- 100g 4ply/fingering weight yarn
- 4mm circular needles (used to knit flat)
- Two stitch markers
- Four shell buttons (maximum 23mm diameter)
- Needle and blocking tools for finishing
- Casting on
- Knit and purl stitches
- Basic increases (KFB and YO)
- Decreases (K2TOG and CDD)
- Binding off
This is a written pattern which is designed to be simple enough for new knitters - instructions are provided for the central double decrease, on yarn overs between knit and purl stitches and there is a linked tutorial for the cast on method used.