Educator and civil rights activist Septima Poinsette Clark (May 3, 1898 – Dec.15, 1987) began fighting for equal access to education and civil rights for African Americans and minorities in the early 1920s. She is known as the “Queen” or “Grandmother” of the American Civil Rights Movement in the United States. Throughout her life, Mrs. Clark traveled the country to fight for equality, establish schools and empower communities through education.
This beret is inspired by the style of the era in which Ms. Clark accomplished some of her greatest achievements and reflects the elegance and quiet dignity that defined her entire life’s work. The hat is worked flat then seamed together with the shirred panel. Instructions for several different accessories will allow you to personalize and change the the look of your hat.
This pattern is also available as part of the Liberation ebook for $18.50.
Buy yarn for this project at Handicraft Café
SIZES/ FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
Includes instructions for Toddler (Small, Medium, Large)
Finished Head Circumference: 16 (17.5, 18.75, 20.25)”/ 40.5 (44.5, 47.5, 51.5)cm, fits heads up to 2”/ 5cm larger than finished size
Height: 8.25 (8.75, 9.5, 10)”/ 21 (22.5, 24, 25)cm
- Approximately 255 (290, 340, 390)yds/ 233 (265, 311, 357)m of fingering weight yarn (sample used The Fibre Co. Canopy Fingering (50% alpaca, 30% merino, 20% bamboo; 200yds/ 183m; 50g/ 1.76oz); 2 skeins; color: Yerba Mate)
- 1 US 3/ 3mm 24”/ 60cm or longer circular needle, or size needed to obtain gauge
- 1 US 1/ 2.25mm 16”/ 40cm or longer circular needle, or 1-2 sizes/ 0.5mm smaller than larger needle
- 1 set US 2/ 2.75 mm double-pointed needles (dpns), or size to obtain gauge
- Tapestry needle
- Stabilizer material for bill/visor
- 29 sts and 36 rows = 4”/ 10cm in St st with larger needles. It is very important to work and block a test swatch.
OTHER PATTERN DETAILS
Available in 4 different sizes
Pattern has been professionally tested and edited
Clear, concise instructions with diagrams
Includes instructions for several accessory options
Download File size: 1.MB
5 pages, full color with active links