Shining Bird's Eyes Shawl
All seeing and bright
From the heights of clouds -
Shining bird’s eyes
Bird’s Eye Lace is also known as Spider lace 1. This lace pattern was first published as a Round Shetland Veil, in 1867 2. Sharon Miller rated the original lace pattern and her Birds Eye Shawl, which was knitted from bottom up, tricky and difficult, and for experienced knitters only.
I used an old lace motif for my Shining Bird’s Eyes Shawl, and in contrast to Sharon Miller’s design, it is knit from the top down. Due to the nature of top down construction, the pattern was simplified into a 6 stitch and 4 row repeat. It is my hope that this variation, which elimates the pattern’s trickiness, and clears its mystery, will allow many more knitters to enjoy this elegant pattern.
The shawl’s edge is finished with Crown picot cast off 4 to echo the bird’s eye motif.
Materials list from Elann pdf December 12, 2013:
- (3) balls elann.com Silken Kydd (637 m/697 yd lace wgt)
- (6) balls elann.com Peruvian Baby Cashmere (600 m/654 yd fingering wgt)
- 5 mm (US 8) 60 cm (24 in) circular needle
- 4 mm (US 6) straight needles for Crown picot bind off
- 5 mm (H-5) crochet hook for provisional cast on
Free for the month of July at http://international.elann.com/product/shining-birds-eyes...