Snegurochka's Party Hat
Pattern description from Handknit Holidays: “While some children believe in Santa, Faina Letoutchaia grew up with this piece of Russian folklore: On the night before Christmas, children are visited by Grandfather Frost, who is always accompanied by his granddaughter Snegurochka (which might be translated into English as Snow Girl - as legend goes, she is made of snow). Snegurochka, who is about sixteen years old, rides with her Grandfather Frost in his sled, helps him with all his Christmas duties, and makes certain that no child is left without a present. Still, Faina explains, Snegurochka is a teenage girl, and like any teenage girl, she loves to go to parties. For Snegurochka and others (of any age) like her, Faina designed this sparkling, dramatic hat.”
Finished Measurements: Approximately 20” in circumference
Yarn: Berroco Softwist (41% wool / 59% rayon; 100 yards / 50 grams): 2 skeins #9478 alizarin (MC)
- One set of five double-pointed needles (dpn) size US 5 (3.75 mm)
- One 16” circular (circ) needle size US 5 (3.75 mm)
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Stitch markers; yarn needle; 2-3 yards waste yarn; beading needle; sewing needle; matching thread; 135 Swarovski crystal (4mm;Siam AB); 86 (Swarovsky crystal (6mm; Siam AB) 54 glass seed beads (#11; silverlined red); 172 glass seed beads (#8; silverlined red).
Notes from Handknit Holidays:
- This hat is intended to be worn pulled low on the forehead, with the beaded fringe right above the eyebrows.
- It requires an elastic band to be inserted for a good, close fit. The hat will look floppy when knitted, but will become snug as soon as elastic is inserted and hat is blocked.
- read Lace Chart from right to left; only odd-numbered rnds are charted (except for last rnd); knit even for all even-numbered rnds.
- When there are too many sts to work comfortably on dpn, transfer sts to circ needle and place st markers between repeats.
Errata: Snegurochka’s Party Hat (page 124)
Add a “k2tog” symbol to Stitch 16 on Row 33 of Hat Chart.