This slouchy hat will ward off a crisp, fall chill in style! If you prefer a more fitted hat, simply stop knitting 3” earlier than called for in the pattern and proceed directly to the decrease instructions.
The “splats” are made with short rows (wrap & turn short rows are explained in detail in the pattern with a pictorial tutorial included, but feel free to substitute your favorite short-row method). Because of this, the brim is knit flat, then seamed at the back. Continuing with the stockinette body of the hat, knitting is done in the round, so it’s simple & quick!
Available Sizes: 17” (19”, 21”) circumference - choose the size that is 2-4 inches smaller than actual head circumference. The model has a 22” head and is wearing the 19” size.
• Main Color: 130 (150, 170) yds Yarn Love Goldilocks Fingering in “Poison Apple” colorway 80% merino / 10% cashmere / 10% nylon • 378 yds • 115g skein
• Contrast Color: 55 (65, 75) yds Madelinetosh Pashmina in the “Antler” colorway 75% merino/ 15% silk/ 10% cashmere • 360 yds • 100g skein*
*For yarn substitutions, I recommend subbing a heavy
fingering or sport-weight yarn for both of these.
• US Size 4 / 3.5mm circular needle
• traveling stitch marker
• yarn needle
• Working flat & in-the-round
• Seaming garter stitch (tutorial video link included)
• Working wrap & turn short rows (pictorial tutorial link included)
• K2tog decreases
The Splat Hat pattern is available as a single pattern ($4.99) or paired with the matching Spotted Cowl pattern as an eBook set for just $1 more!
Many, many thanks to ShelbyWoo, woollykim, LTimms & TaraGel, the test knitters who helped me work the kinks out of this pattern!