This is a simple, slouchy beret for the cool days of winter to spring, or even a day you just want to cover up a bit in style. Worked in a repeating knit-and-purl pattern, experienced knitters will find this a quick knit to keep or gift away, and newer knitters will be able to practice working in the round and basic decreases. Choose a single skein of luxurious alpaca/silk blend yarn like this Lorna’s Laces Honor, or another alpaca-blend DK-weight yarn in the colour of your choice!
• Lorna’s Laces Honor 275 yds/251m per 100g skein; 70% alpaca/30% silk, 1 skein OR 250 yds of similar alpaca-blend DK-weight yarn
• 3.0mm 16” circular needle (OR, needle size 2 sizes smaller than that required to obtain pattern gauge)
• 3.75mm 16” circular needle AND double-pointed needles (OR size required to obtain pattern gauge)
• Stitch marker
• Tapestry needle
• M(L). Sample shown is Size L.
• When finished and laid flat, hat diameter measures 12.5(13.5) ins across.
• Brim circumference measures 18(20) ins around.
(Fit is intended to be generously loose.)
• 24 sts/32 rounds over 4 ins in Main Chart knit/purl pattern, on 3.75mm needles, after washing and blocking.
• (Note: Lorna’s Laces Honor relaxes significantly after washing.)
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work in the round
• Work knit and purl sts
• Work increases (m1) and decreases (k2tog, p2tog, slk2psso)
• Working from a chart