SweaterBabe's Mystery Scarf Knit-Along
CLUE #3 (includes all previous Clues) has been uploaded! Join the MKAL Clue 3 Discussion here.
This Mystery Knit-Along is a one-ball (or two-ball!) scarf that is a quick knit, with lovely textured results.
It combines lace with some simple shaping techniques to give it beautiful body and structure. Choose the one-ball option, perfect for gift knitting or choose the two-ball option if you prefer your scarves with a little more length.
A 70% kid mohair/30% silk blend yarn is required to give you the nice halo that complements the lace and a finished scarf that is sumptuous to touch. (A non-mohair yarn is not recommended, as the intended results will only work with the type of yarn suggested.)
I used Elann.com Silken Kydd, but have listed very similar options here. (Please substitute based on yardage, NOT number of balls or weight)
As this project features 2 different lace stitch patterns (charted and written) AND in particular, is knit in a mohair-blend yarn, I consider it an INTERMEDIATE level-of-difficulty. Please be comfortable using a mohair-blend, as it is very difficult to fix mistakes with this kind of yarn, but the nature of the yarn is what will work with this pattern to give gorgeous results ;-)
Choose a vibrant or soft color that will make you (or the gift recipient) happy. This is a fun, feminine, and sophisticated design that will be a delight to wear!
A slightly variegated color would work as well, though I would recommend more subtle color variations to allow the two different stitches to come through.
MYSTERY KNIT-ALONG DETAILS:
- Initial Sign-up period: August 10 through August 31, 2014 (see how-to below).
- For yarn advice, visit this discussion thread. St st gauge provided above. Be sure to stretch and block your swatch to check gauge properly (yardage requirements based on this gauge).
- Clues will be released weekly beginning on September 1 with Clue 1 and ending with final Clue 5 on September 29.
- Prize drawing from all Finished Projects will be held mid-October.
HOW TO Sign Up and Participate:
1) Join the All SweaterBabe Fans Group here on Ravelry and see the MKAL thread to join.
3) Once you’ve added the MKAL Pattern to your Ravelry Library, create a MKAL Project page (add tag “sweaterbabe14” please) linking to it.
4) Post yarn selection thoughts to this Yarn MKAL thread here. Lots of helpful tips there on yarn selection.
5) Clue releases will be announced to my special new MKAL email list (so please join it if you have not already) AND as Pattern Updates from the SweaterBabe.com Ravelry Store.
That’s it! Please join us. This is a fabulous scarf that you can easily KAL with us. You’ll be done before you know it and will want to knit it again! This is a VERY “SweaterBabe” scarf - so if you are a fan of my designs, I promise you will love this one too ;-)
Initial sign-up period ends August 31, but you are welcome to join anytime, as the Clues are cummulative, i.e. they include all previous Clues. After the MKAL is finished, the full pattern will be published for purchase.
ETA: FYI to those that purchased in August - I changed the req. yardage for the one-ball version up to 232 yds to be MORE conservative and allow for bigger swatches (esp. for those who are new to mohair). The original 220 yds was already padded and allowed for a swatch, but bumping it up to 232 will allow for some gauge variation and will also hopefully encourage more to swatch ;-)
The more I see these discussions on swatching, I feel like I should be super conservative on the yardage!
Again, you are fine if you adhered to the original 220 yds. And the two-ball version is unchanged. Thanks!