Sweet Faux Hawk Baby Blanket
The “Sweet Faux Hawk” baby blanket is based on the classic mitred square, but there are a few things that make it unique. One is the chain ridge running up the center of each garter mitred square (the faux hawk). The other is that the squares are oriented diagonally, but the blanket is still square, thanks to filling in the edges with triangles and tying the whole thing together with a border. The blanket does not require any seaming, though you will have to weave in ends.
The blanket as designed is knit in 7 colors of DK-weight yarn at an original gauge of 20 stitches and 36 rows over 4 inches of garter stitch. This creates a roughly square blanket measuring about 49” by 53” when blocked. However, due to the modular character of the blanket, it is easily adaptable to any size and any weight yarn. The color configuration is just a suggestion; you could also knit this blanket using up scrap yarns for a great stash buster.
Materials for original blanket: Knit Picks Swish DK (50g/123 yards per skein) in 7 colors. Colors used in original blanket are:
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Dusk (Navy), 6 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Honey (Yellow), 3 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Serrano (Red), 3 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Amethyst Heather (Purple), 3 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Wonderland Heather (Light Blue), 3 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Marble Heather (Gray), 3 skeins
- Knit Picks Swish DK, Peapod (Green), 3 skeins
- For knitting squares and triangles: U.S. size 6 (4.0 mm) straight needles OR 16-inch/40-cm circular needles, whichever you prefer
- For knitting border: U.S. size 6 (4.0 mm) 40-inch/100-cm circular needles
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends