The Beads Go On
Note: Needlecraft University is now closed. I might offer this class in the future in another venue if there is interest. Please message me to be put on the announcement list.
Knowing just the basics of knitting, you can easily learn to knit with beads. Come join us in this enjoyable class, taught by Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer (Jackie E-S), where we combine beads with knitting to add a fabulous touch.
Our class projects include three styles of fun and practical beaded-garter bands that can be used as wrist warmers, as ankle bracelets (a.k.a. sock-not cuffs), or as huggies for your favorite drink containers. You can look forward to exploring a myriad of color and bead placement combinations. Quick and easy knitting can turn these projects into gifts that friends and family will love, too!
You will learn about
- Knitting with beads in single, random, and multi-color designs on a garter stitch base
- Getting the effect you want with different yarn and bead combinations
- Bead stringing techniques and tips to help you find the method that works best for you
- How to knit a chained selvedge as a knit-as-you-go finishing edge to garter stitch
- An easy method for joining the beginning and end of beaded-garter stitch to produce a nearly invisible seam with minimum bulk
- Reading charted instructions for more complex beading designs
- How even-count charts from other fiber disciplines such as cross-stitch, needlepoint, and filet crochet can be used in designing your own beaded knitting designs
- Preventing and correcting mistakes in beaded knitting
- Finishing, wear and care of items knitted with beads
This class consists of three lessons with a different project in each lesson. In Lesson 1, we will learn the basics of beaded-garter knitting while knitting with a random color mix of beads against solid color yarn. In Lesson 2, we will work a counted design in a single color or random mix of beads against solid or variegated yarn. In Lesson 3, we extend our skills to working counted designs in a planned sequence of multiple colors of beads.
To take this class, you should be comfortable with these basics of knitting: knit, k2tog, and slip stitch. No previous experience with beading is necessary.
Take this on-line class from the convenience of your home. You’ll have 6 weeks to practice, ask questions, share your progress and learn at your own pace. Just connect your computer to the internet, and the class and Discussion Board are there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.