The Manly Sweater
Pattern Description from Stitch ‘N Bitch: “As a self-taught knitter, I never realized that certain things weren’t ‘supposed’ to be tackled by beginners. So when I wanted to make a sweater for my husband, I just sketched out a design, took all of the applicable measurements, and figured out the numbers from there. I wanted it to suit him, as well as other body types and tastes, so I went for something both classic and comfortable. The sweater was a bit hit. Not only was it the first piece I designed, but the first adult sweater I ever knit.”
- Small (Medium, Large, Extra-Large)
- Finished chest 41 (45, 50, 56)”
- Finished length 25 (26½, 28½, 29½)”
Skills: Cast on, knit, purl, change color, decrease, bind off, sew seam
- Brown Sheep Company, Lamb’s Pride Worsted (85% wool/15% mohair; 4oz/190yds)
- MC: 4 (5, 6, 7) skeins #M04 Charcoal Heather
- A: 2 (3, 3, 4) skeins #M83 Raspberry
- B: 1 skein #M05 Onyx
- US 8 (5mm) knitting needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- US 7 (4.5mm) 16” circular needle
- Stitch holders
Pattern on pages 210-212.
Helpful hint from gamerchik: Apparently, there is an error in the instructions for the bind-off of the front piece (the neck/shoulder area). It should probably read (for size L) to BO 9 stitches 4 times instead of 8 stitches 4 times. I had this problem and apparently, so did a lot of other people. It was very frustrating.