Twit twoo: Owl flip top mitts
In the UK, Brownie leaders are called owls; Twit Twoo was written for a Brownie leader friend of mine who wanted a pair of owl-y mitts to wear to Brownie events. The mitts are fingerless with a flip top to keep your fingers warm whilst keeping them accessible for when you need them; instructions are given for both short and full thumbs. The sample mitts are knitted in a DK-weight wool/acrylic/nylon blend that is warm without being bulky, and the added nylon makes them stronger and more hard-wearing than pure wool.
The mitts are knitted in the round starting with the top flap, which is then joined in as the main mitt is knitted. The thumb gusset relies only on keeping a few stitches live to pick up later, rather than requiring you to keep track of any increases or decreases. The mitts themselves are completely seam free as they start with Judy’s magic cast on, which means you don’t have to go back at the end to join the top of the flap. The flap can be buttoned down using either a short crocheted chain or i-cord loop buttonhole; instructions are given for both options.
The owl eyes and ears are knitted separately, then stitched in place, and the beak is added using Swiss darning.
Sizes avaliable: S, M, L, XL (palm circumference: 16.5 cm (6 ½ in), 18 cm (7 in), 19 cm (7 ½ in), 20.5 cm (8 in)). These mitts are designed to be worn with no ease; choose the size closest to the actual size of your palm circumference.
The sample shown is size M with short thumbs and i-cord buttonhole loops, knitted in Bergere de France Idéal (40% Wool, 30% Acrylic, 30% Polyamide, 125 m (137 yds) per 50 g ball) in Belladone (MC), Meije (CC1) and Girolle (CC2).
Other craft(s) required, if any: Small amount of sewing; very basic crochet (optional)
- Set of 3.5 mm (US 4) double-pointed needles (magic loop may be used instead, in which case a long 3.5 mm (US 4) circular should be used instead)
- 3.5 mm (US 4) crochet hook (optional)
- Stitch holder
- A length of waste yarn
- 2 stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
- DK yarn in each of the following colours and amounts: MC (main colour): 170 [190, 210, 225] m (190 [210, 225, 250] yds); CC1 (cream): 15 m [15 yds]; CC2 (yellow): oddment <5 m [<5 yds])
- 4 × 11 mm (approx. ½ in) black buttons and coordinating thread for pupils
- 2 small buttons of your choosing for holding the mitt flaps down (the ones shown in the sample are 11 mm (approx. ½ in))
Difficulty: Intermediate: Knit, purl, working in the round, decreasing (k2tog, ssk, cdd), Judy's magic cast on, i-cord (optional)
Pattern Style: Full with abbreviations