Pattern Description from The Best of Interweave Knits: “Charlotte Morris transformed the classic textured Aran cardigan into something delicate and feminine by choosing a lightweight yarn and subtle textures. Instead of the traditional cables, Charlotte worked twisted ribs, traveling stitches, and a tiny smock pattern against a seed stitch background. To add to the distinctly feminine feel, she worked it all in a sportweight wool-cashmere yarn called VIP and finished it off with a pretty flared collar and pearl buttons.”
Finished Size: 36 (40, 44.5, 48.5, 52.5)” (91.5 101.5, 113, 123, 133.5 cm).
Yarn: Sportweight (#2 Fine).
Lana Gatto VIP (80% wool/20% cashmere; 218 yd 200 m/50 g): #2322 sage green, 8 (8, 10, 12, 13) balls.
Needles: Body and sleeves - size 5 (3.75 mm). Ribbing - size 3 (3.25 mm). Adjust needle sizes if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Stitch holders; markers (m); tapestry needle; size D/3 (3.25 mm) crochet hook; nine (nine, nine, ten, ten) 1/2” (1.3 cm) buttons.
- 29 sts and 34 rows = 4” (10 cm) in twisted seed stitch on larger needles
- 25-st diamond panel = 3.5” (9 cm) wide
- 34 rows of diamond panel = 4” (10 cm) high on larger needles
- To compensate for the slight difference in row gauges, work a pair of short-rows in the smocking stitch areas every 20 rows.
- Work neck shaping bind-offs in stockinette stitch, not in smocking stitch pattern. Work partial pattern repeats in stockinette stitch.