Wavicle Hat and Cowl
13 sts and 20 rnds = 4”/10cm in St st on US10/6mm needles†, washed and blocked; 13 sts and 19 rnds = 4”/10cm in Wavicle pattern on US11/8mm needles†, washed and blocked
• Hat - Small (Large): 20”/51cm (23”/58cm) circumference and 8.5”/22cm (9”/23cm) deep
• Cowl - Small (Large): 20”/51cm (22”/56cm) circumference and 11.5”/29cm tall
• Hat - About 98yd/90m (114yd/105m) bulky/12ply yarn
• Cowl - About 115yd/105m (127yd/116m) bulky/12ply yarn
• Hat - US11/8mm short circular needles or DPNs†; US10/6mm short circular needles and/or DPNs†; US9/5.5mm short circular needles†; darning needle; 1 stitch marker
• Cowl - US11/8mm short circular needles†; US10/6mm short circular needles†; darning needle; 1 stitch marker
†Or size needed to obtain gauge
Important notes before you begin:
These patterns are written for a yarn with plenty of drape. Please be sure to swatch before you begin to get a feel for your finished fabric. If the fabric seems stiff (even if you get gauge), you may wish to go up a needle size, or try a different yarn.
A cozy, quick-to-knit hat and cowl set with smart details. The “Wavicle” slip-stitch pattern used in both pieces is dense, warm, and scrunchy.
The cowl is tall and quite close-fitting, and offers substantial neck coverage despite its stylish scrunch. One opening is flared to provide a fit that lays flat against your shoulders and tucks down neatly into a coat or sweater collar.
The Wavicle pattern covers only a quarter of the hat’s circumference, giving the illusion of waving up and over a simple welting pattern. Carefully planned crown decreases integrate seamlessly with the patterning.