From “Leaves of Grass” by Walt Whitman
“I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of
Show off the beauty of your hand-painted yarn with this simple, graphic, lace pattern. The stitch pattern used for the body is a garter stitch version of the lace pattern “Leaves of Grass.”
Pattern is 8 pages.
- picking up stitches
- working in the round
- attached edging
Finished Size (blocked): 51”/130 cm circumference by 9.5”/24 cm wide.
- Stitch marker (1, with an additional 16 to mark chart A repeats if desired)
- Tapestry needle
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on chart - optional)
- Blocking wires and pins
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 360 yards/329 meters wool or wool-blend DK weight yarn that knits up to 5.5 sts/inch.
Indigodragonfly ‘DK Polwarth Silk’, (775 yards/709 meters; 75% wool, 25%; 8.82 oz/250 grams per skein), 1 skein in Curse Your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal (Wash).
Filatura Di Crosa ‘Zara Chinè’, (137 yards/125 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein), 3 skeins in 1927 Ruby Chinè.
Other Possible Yarns:
- Classic Elite Yarns ‘Wool Bam Boo’, (118 yards/108 meters; 50% wool, 50% bamboo; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Amy Butler Belle Organic DK’, (131 yards/120 meters; 50% wool, 50% cotton; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Manos del Uruguay ‘Silk Blend’, (150 yards/137 meters; 70% merino, 30% silk; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein). madelinetosh ‘tosh merino DK’, (225 yards/206 meters; 100% merino; 4.06 oz/100 grams per skein .
- Lang Yarns ‘Seta Tweed’, (109 yards/100 meters; 75% silk, 25% cotton; 0.88 oz/25 grams per skein). The Verdant Gryphon ‘Traveller’, (280 yards/256 meters; 100% merino; 3.63 oz/103 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Tapestry’, (131 yards/120 meters; 70% wool, 30% soy; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Pg. 4 - ep2tog abbreviation is missing from the symbols and abbreviations. Stitch description is “purl last stitch of edging together with next body stitch. One stitch bound-off.”
- Pg. 6 - Written instructions, Edging B, Row 4, yo, k4.
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.